Wednesday, May 2, 2012

I like lichen!

Lichen that I like
In case you can't tell, I like lichen. It's weird and comes in fun shapes and grows on rocks, which I also like (thanks, geologist dad). It's both fungus and algae, and symbiotic! I took this picture of lichen last year in a cemetery in Manchester, VT, where I was living at the time. Cemeteries are another of my favorite things (add the Sound of Music to that, too). They're big parks with interesting things to read and funny names and no dog poop or family reunions (hee hee, I just realized that cemeteries could be family reunions, albeit in a very macabre way).
Unfurling flora

It was the beginning of Spring, which rolled in around mid-May in Vermont last year, and all sorts of flowers and plants were unfurling. Spring came quite a bit earlier this year, thank goodness, but I haven't gotten out on a good sunny day to get some nice pictures! This one reminds me of fiddlehead ferns, which look quite similar, and are considered a delicacy in the area. My co-op has a gorgeous display of the in the front of the produce department. Actually, they remind me more of rolly-pollys (the bug) than anything else, and I haven't had any desire to eat them. Yet.


Burlington Sunsets
Speaking of co-op, I bought a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) share last week. It starts in June and I am super pumped- CSAs are a great way to get fresh produce (every week! downtown pick up!), support local farmers AND try new and unusual veggies and recipes. I can't wait to stretch my cooking muscles. I've fallen off the wagon a bit in the cooking department and need a little inspiration!

No comments:

Post a Comment